Thursday, May 3, 2012

So they's got deez portfolio 'binders' at some art stores, right?  Average price of $60-$120.  Very professional , but only white, black, steel, plastic, or bamboo.  5 choices
 ^this one is da white 
 This^ would be the bamboo veneer.  So I goes to Ed, Marc and David, and they sez to me about 'SECOND WAVE' in Fremont, a used (junk) shop for boat parts.
 I find me this double hinged Yacht cabinet door.  $20, why not?  I got a hinge with Screw Post's in a brass finish from Stone Way in Ballard.
 being as the GIANT wood cabinet doors weren't too practical, i head over to Cross Cut in SODO.
 They only had full size plywood there, so i considered their lovely veneers!  
 But ended up at the nice folks at COMPTON LUMBER, awesome place. They had some precut CHERRY wood on hand, so i dropped $20 and got my self 2 12"x18" boards!


 Thanks to Ed, i borrowed a drill and headed to the North plaza to make some Holes.  (note, this also required getting 12 1/4" screwposts 
 don't forget to file that sharp edge on the cropped hinge! 
 and BOOM a custom ScrewPost portfolio!  
 so . . . . 

Hinge :   $12
six 1/2" screw posts for the middle : $1.50 each, so $9 total
twelve 1/4" screw posts for the boards : $12 at a dollar each
Cherry Wood Boards : $20
grand total of $53.  I think it was TOTES worth it!  

OH, btw, i raged the other night with ECS!!!! 



WE WON 2-0 AGAINST THE GALAXY!!! WE LOVE YOU SOUNDERS, WE DO!! 

4 comments:

  1. Really creative man, gotta love the fact that you made your own art portfolio book. It is like an art portfolio book that is in the art portfolio (if you can wrap your head around that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, that's so awesome. definitely more points for your portfolio "grade" or however it works. plus I bet your portfolio looks way better than the ones you would have spent more money to buy, and it means so much more since you took the time to put it together yourself. AND now you can say you've used tools before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I just came across this as I'm looking to make my own portfolio like what you did. My question though is where do you buy the binding (hinge) part for the screwposts?

    If you could send me a response at gezzo@ltu.edu that would be awesome!

    nice job btw

    ReplyDelete